IN BRIEF - SOME OF THE KEY MARKETING ACTIVITES BUSINESSES CAN EMBARK ON.
- Reaches large, geographically dispersed audiences with limited, measurable results. Essentially one-way communication and good for brand building. The overall costs can be high (depending on the publication) but good editorial coverage can serve to compliment advertising and increase presence. Many industry specific publications with focussed readership provide an excellent opportunity for the distribution of technical information, press releases and editorials.
- Sales staff interacting with customers for the purpose of making sales and building customer relationships. This is our most effective tool for building relationships and influencing customer preferences and actions. Personal interaction allows for feedback and quick corrective action. Consider what marketing tools you, as a sales person will need to help you sell, whether it be in the form of literature, samples etc.
- This can also be seen as another form of personal selling and public relations. Shows can be used as a platform for sales promotions as well. Shows are expensive and mostly provide a platform to create awareness for products and brands, but few hard sales take place at shows. Follow ups are critical. Smaller, focused product presentations or customer events are more advantageous methods of marketing. These events are excellent for networking.
- Direct communications with carefully targeted individual consumers to obtain an immediate response There are many forms: Telephone marketing, direct mail, online marketing, etc. This is well-suited to highly-targeted marketing campaigns. Follow up is critical and message delivery needs to be short and to the point. Online provides some level of measurability in terms of tracking via Google analytics and reviewing CTR.
- Short-term incentives to encourage the purchase or sale of a product. Stimulates quick response and is short-lived. Not effective at building long-term brand preferences, but can be used this effectively to clear slow moving stock, boost sales to coincide with industry trends.